Who We Are
ACSL has been created to promote and oversee a nationally consistent, comprehensive and sustainable framework for the protection of children and adults at risk within the Church in Australia. We have zero tolerance of abuse and we work to ensure a safe Church for everyone.
The findings of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse place responsibility on the Catholic Church to demonstrate greater respect, care and protection for everyone who places their trust in the Church and to comply with legislative obligations in safeguarding and professional standards.
What we do
We provide integrated safeguarding services that are informed by Catholic social teaching, and support Church entities meet their responsibilities to provide safe environments for children and adults at risk.
Our Safeguarding services include:
- Providing advice to Church Authorities about their safeguarding responsibilities
- Providing tailored education and professional development programs
- Producing training and support materials for Professional Standards and Safeguarding Officers
- Undertaking research and analysis of professional standards and safeguarding efforts
- Monitoring the implementation of the National Catholic Safeguarding Standards
- Managing databases related to Church safeguarding
- Overseeing the management of complaints against Church Authorities
- Providing an independent certification and accreditation audit and review program of safeguarding practices
Our values define us.
We are committed to acting with courage, compassion and honesty. These values guide how we develop and manage our organisation and inform cultural change within the Catholic Church to protect children and adults at risk.
- Courage – We stand firm, act responsively and persevere
- Compassion – We honour the dignity of all and work with understanding, respect and care
- Honesty – We embrace openness and transparency, and act with integrity, probity, fairness and consistency
We work to embed our values in everything we do.